I loved this hot day on New Orleans so much.
Shadows from the canopy were dancing on our naked legs , and for a few hours, we said nothing more.
I was feeling Flora’s breathe on my neck , and the long locks of her hair wrapping around my hips, so softly ; and sliding in a caress when I moved a little. My all life could have been contained in these radiant hours of early summer.
Sharing Flora’s bed, and Flora’s story which had changed my sight of life, only in the time from dawn to afternoon when she told me what her life had been and who shaped her; bright amazon, tower of strength.
“ I kept something from his pure soul.”
The way she said it sounded like this revelation was not necessarily for me. She gently loosened our embrace; and stood up flexibly, to get a book of old leather in her secretary desk.
“ This is not the original. Hermione Granger had kept it in the Ministry. But she had copies made for all who were close to him. It’s protected by a charm. I in turn cannot make a copy, other than by writing it by hand; and there’s more than three thousand pages …
– Is it his diary?
– The one which had been donated by Andromeda Black. It begins in 1985, when he started teaching biology in a muggle Londoner high school ; and it ends, well…
– Oh lord, it’s an incredible testimony that you have here; a treasure …
– I must warn you however. The diary is protected. Not by aggressive magic, it wouldn’t have been the peaceful spirit of Remus. But it only opens for people who respect him sincerely, not those who are only attracted by its belated prestige. He has always worked in shadows and poverty; he would have folded in front of people too curious about his charisma and who would not share his love for the simple human will, and energy.
– I won’t be allowed to open it then, Flora.”
She stood a little bit surprised, the diary still in her hands.
“ Please call me Cypress. Why do you say that Geral’? What’s wrong ?
– I hardly dare say it; but you remember, the night before yesterday; when you told me I didn’t know who I was talking about, and that you left me to go dancing with the others … When I came back home… It’s so difficult… You know, mum has made a painting of him from a photo … Well, I raised the wrong finger in front of him.”
Cypress stared at me for a moment with wide eyes, then she burst out laughing. And while she was laughing like that, in front of my big nose all red with tears; the diary too was shaking itself in her hands …
“ What a child you are, Geraldine ! Do you really think it matters that much ? Anyway , give it a try!”
And she handed it to me, I took it shievering.
“ Come on, Gee, open it !”
But as I didn’t dare , the diary opened by itself , and there came out an amber light, dotted with twinkling stars.
“ You see, what I was telling you ! It’s more wonderful than ever… Because spirits know you’re a good person.”
And i laughed shaking my face in that warm light, with those little stars that came to tickle my cheeks; and curl up in my hair.
Me too, even if I came much later; I was accepted in Professor Moony’s spiritual family…